Saturday, August 18, 2007

Kids questions..

Alright what do you do when your kid out of no where asks you what herpes are? Yeah I was a little taken back since being homeschooled those words are pretty foreign to my kids. Here's what happened I was getting read to go out for dinner with Ben. Lucas walks in the bathroom and say "mom, what are herpes?" I was a little speechless at first I mean where did he hear that so I said "oh, it's a disease". He says "oh, what are geneial herpes?" (yes, that's exactly how he pronounced it) I respond with it's a disease by your privates. He walks away and I think that satisfied his curiosity he comes walking back with the dictionary which I should've know he would and reads to be the dictionary definition of herpes. Now by this time I'm almost laughing because he's just so innocent and he is my most inquisitive kid by far so it's just like him to haul out the dictionary or encyclopedia if he doesn't know what something means. All of a sudden I realize he's been watching tv for a little bit and I knew he was watching something on discovery channel. So I asked him what exactly he was watching and he said something on discovery channel about machines and how they work. I asked him where did you here about herpes then "oh", he says "it was a commercial for Levitra" or whatever drug is for herpes. My oh my I can't even let him watch an educational show on tv without him getting an unwanted education on sex ed. Bottom line is he now knows what herpes are but not sex maybe it's about time we had that talk...GASP!! Not quite ready for that yet!

2 comments:

Esther said...

Good luck! It's so hard to keep them in a box but we do try don't we. My kids believe anything they see on a commercial. Racky could sell space bags to anybody LOL!

Sarah said...

Yikes! I make the boys mute all commercials at our house. They think it's kinda silly, but I don't care. Good luck with the "talk".