Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Case of the owies..

What ever do you do when your seven year old comes to you crying saying he's hurt inside? Not meaning physically hurt but he got his feelings hurt. He and his big brother got into an argument about a new toy they found in their room. It was a birthday toy Kaleb got for his birthday that somehow got shoved under their bed. It was a spiderman toy that required two people to play it and involved water sort of like a squirt gun fight. They go outside with it and are having a ball when all of a sudden Lucas comes in the house in a huff saying Kaleb won't share and so he won't play with him. Ok I think let them work it out for themselves and I'm sure Kaleb will see it's no fun not sharing and playing alone. Next thing I'm folding a load of laundry and Kaleb comes up to me crying so hard he's hyperventilating. He felt so bad about not sharing and was so upset that Lucas wouldn't "ever" play with him again. So now we go and bring Lucas into it and let each one tell their side of the story and get it resolved. I honestly felt so bad for Kaleb I could've cried with him I knew he felt just awful. But then I realized that had he not felt so bad about not sharing and seeing it's not really fun to play a two person game alone he wouldn't think twice about it next time. It sort of made me think also about myself and how much I share or don't and if I'm generous or not. I've decided that it's something I can all work on and improve in. So the case of the owies taught the boys and myself a well learned lesson today.

1 comment:

Esther said...

it's amazing what they can teach us! i just watch how my kids act and talk and they show me my "problem" areas;)