Friday, January 5, 2007

Oh to go back..

Funny that my SIL posted something about this a little while ago I just read an email about growing up in the 60,s and 70's it was meant to be humerous but there are so many truths to it. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era it would be great not to have all the worry's and troubles we do today with the tv, internet, x-boxes etc. When we were kids we just took off for the day sometimes my parents had no idea where I was they always had an idea but they didn't always know for sure. My sister and I would go hiking for a while day we'd pack out back packs early in the morning with food and water etc. and head out sometimes not returning until dinner time or dark. We just head out in our woods and see where they led us it was so much fun and were were only 9 and 14 maybe even younger. I don't remember a childhood of watching a lot of tv we played outside all the time. We made an obstacle course in our woods it took two summers but boy was it fun. Another summer we built a teepee and pretended we were indians. We would also fill our kiddie pool up with as many frogs as we could catch in the swamp next door. I would head off on my bike and be gone the whole day my parents usually knew where to find me but even then I could be in the local orchard, at the park etc. I say all this because yesterday I was watching the neighbor boy I told the boys they could take a bike ride in our neighborhood as long as they stayed off the busy streets. So this usually takes them 15 min. they went on a bike ride and came back looking for lunch I told them to take one more bike ride and then lunch would be ready. So after a half hour and hubby and I have already eaten lunch their still not back he goes back to work and another 15 goes by. Now I'm starting to worry so I go next door to the neighbors thinking they maybe ended up there nope the neighbors older sister thinks she saw them at the park on her way home. I said nah my kids know their not allowed to go there alone. So she goes to look sure enough it was them they were found safe and sound and had lost track of time. I had a good talking to with both of them and explained to them how worried I was they also were both punished and the genuinily felt bad. So here I sat yesterday thinking how my parents wouldn't have even given it a second thought I'm sure they worried sometimes where exactly we were but never like I was yesterday I was frantic with worry. Sometimes I think I'm to over protective I should just let them go and roam the neighborhood especially being boys that's what boys do. But then I think of all the creeps and perv's out there and just can't do it. Letting them take bike rides on their own now is a huge step already for me that is. Hubby thinks they should have a little more freedom than they do so I'm trying to let go a little but man is it hard. I told them from now on I'd let them go to the park they'd have to wear a watch and be back at a specific time. That way I know where they are and when they'll be back. As for just taking off for adventures during they day...yikes...I'm just not ready for that yet maybe in a few years:) Mom, dad how ever did you do it? I love the outside and being outside a lot still as an adult and my kids are outside more than inside most days and for that I'm very thankful but it's sure is a different world we live in. As for the neighbor kid he got in trouble to but I felt bad since I was suppose to babysitting him I'm sure his mom will never let me live that one down..:)

1 comment:

Esther said...

Those were the days weren't they. We got the boot before the dew was off the ground and told not to come back for lunch. After lunch it was back outside again. If it rained for more than a day we thought we would go crazy inside. The only rule we had was we were not allowed to go into anybody house, all play must be done outside.