Monday, January 8, 2007

Healthier eating

Soooo we are on a health kick hubby wants to lose weight and he decided we all should just eat healthier which is so true. I always thought we ate kind of healthy..nope..wrong..we eat/ate like crap. Although I'm not giving up my occasional Culver's ice cream treat but occasional is the key word here not three times a week. Hubby ate baked chicken last night for dinner quite a step in progress for him not sure he liked it to much but he ate it. Now it's my turn for fish my goal is to eat it twice a week for dinner..yuck..I can't stand fish or seafood but hubby ate chicken and so that is our deal chicken and fish each twice a week for dinner. I got some good recipes off the Internet so I'll try those. I even made home made bread today ground the wheat and all myself. I'm not sure it'll turn out I haven't made it in oh 6 years probably but I thought I'd give it a try again. My goal is to make two loaves a week and then buy one or so we'll see how much bread we really go through first. We are trying to eliminate processed foods which is basically everything we eat not totally but really making an effort to avoid them for awhile. I saw the movie "Super Size Me" the other night on tv and oh my was it an eye opener. It's quite disgusting what the American diet consists of those fast food places are the absolute worst. Not that I don't like the food but that movie was a huge eye opener if we hadn't decided to eat healthier before I saw the movie it would've made me want to. What is actually in chicken nuggets they serve at those places would make you up chuck seriously it's disgusting I'm not sure I can ever get those for my kids again without feeling guilty. Roman pulled a rice cake out of the cupboard today and thought it was a cookie so I gave him one plain thinking he wouldn't eat it he ate the whole thing and thought it was great. The other boys ate one with real peanut butter on it for lunch today and said it was the best thing they'd had for lunch in awhile..not kidding. Guess it goes to show even rice cakes can be good..hahahaha. Well that's my ramblings for today wish us luck on our new quest for healthier eating.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Good luck! We've been trying for years and it still is not easy. Education is the best thing, the more you know the grosser the fake stuff will be to you. It will still taste good but it will make you feel nasty. The fish isn't easy either that stuff is nasty, Biggie is the only one whoever wants more.

Sharon said...

We are not going quite as far as you on the whole health kick thing, but we are definitely avoiding a lot of foods also. We are just trying to put more fruit and veggies in our diets and getting rid of the cookies and chips--well just the ones with an ingredient list longer than 3 lines or so.