Monday, September 29, 2008

Lessons learned from homeschooling...


For those of you who Homeschool do you ever have moments when your teaching that you feel like you never went to school? I mean I graduated from high school and even went to college for a brief stint for teaching no less. Yet sometimes I feel as though I'm relearning all over again guess that is the beauty of teaching your kids yourself.

Have you ever seen that show "Smarter than a 5th grader"? I was talking with someone at the Y and he said "wow, I don't hardly know any of the answers I can't believe how smart kids are now". Well we homeschooling mothers would do quite well I think at that game show. I've actually known a lot of the answers only because I've taught my own kids and it's things we've recently learned.

So this morning while teaching complex fractions to Lucas I was a) really glad I am not in school anymore and b) that I've relearned all fractions again so that I can teach and explain complex fractions to him. Thank the Lord my oldest is good at Math or we might be in trouble! So although I'm sure I did learn complex fractions and everything else to do with them...which is a lot...I remember nil about them. Anyway I really wonder how much from school I really do remember. At least you do remember a lot better the second time around! I guess at times I really am back in school again to:)

3 comments:

Esther said...

I'm learning thigns from the second grade and under books over here. It's so sad how much you forget.

CFC Flames '04 said...

I totally agree! We use Math U See and it is really neat to SEE math. I get it so much better now! Wish I had been taught that way in the first place. :)

4funboys said...

ammmmmen!