Friday, September 26, 2008

Chocolate Coconut Bars

Today I obtained a new bar recipe that is awesome!! I've had them at a Homeschool building where my kids take classes on Friday's. I am a money collector for hot lunch which means my kids get a free hot lunch and we all get to eat yummy desserts like this. Finally today my friend Heather and I remembered to ask the lunch lady for her recipe. I made them this afternoon and now I know why they are so good...they're loaded with butter and sugar....that makes anything good:~) Not the greatest picture of the bars but you get the idea. Oh, and for you non coconut fans like myself you can't taste it and it makes the bars really good.


Chocolate Coconut Bars

Crust:

1 3/4 C. Flour
1/4 C. Cocoa (if using dutch cocoa use a little bit less)
3/4 C. Powered Sugar
1 C. Butter

Filling:

3 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbs. Flour
1 C. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking power
1 c. pecans
1 1/2 C. coconut
10 oz chocolate chunks

1. Melt butter and then mix the rest of the crust ingredients with the butter. Spread in a 9x13 greased pan and bake at 350 for 15 min.

2. Mix all the filling ingredients together and pour over the hot crust. Bake an additional 20 min. at 350.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Definitely not a fan of coconut myself, but it sounds so yummy, maybe I'll try to make them without the coconut. :)

CFC Flames '04 said...

Oh I do love coconut but I'm not even gonna try and make these...I can feel the pounds I'm gaining right now just from reading the recipe! :)
I do make Magic Cookie bars ...just as bad since they have sweetened cond. milk, coconut, chocolate chips and nuts in them but OH so easy it's hard to say no when my husband asks me to make them.

Anonymous said...

You made them! They look really good. I still have to give them a try...I didn't have all of the ingredients. Allison says to tell you that they look yummy. I really enjoy your blog - very cute pics of the boys! I love their creativity with the bows and arrows!