Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dairy Free donuts

This morning I decided to try and make some home made donuts that Kaleb can eat. Being they had to be dairy free I wasn't sure how they would taste. I took this recipe from allrecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Plain-Cake-Doughnuts/Detail.aspx
I substituted the regular milk with soy milk that he drinks. I wasn't to impressed by them I don't think it was the soy milk I couldn't even taste it. But I didn't make any with regular milk so I'm not sure if there would be a taste difference. The kids loved them and had fun putting powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar on them. I have another recipe to try that's suppose to be like crispy creme donuts we'll see how those turn out. Maybe some other Saturday.:) I will say they were very easy to make.



The dough for the donut holes.







I had just dropped them into the oil.









Brown on one side. They float to the top as they cook the kids got a kick out of watching them cook.







Our finished product. They were very crispy just missing something that I couldn't identify.

3 comments:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Oh, those look yum-a-licious!!! You are great trying to make treats for your little guy under difficult circumstances. A little creativity goes a long way, huh?

Esther said...

Wow donuts! Very impressive! All that oil looks messy and like way too much work!!

Sarah said...

Don't you hate it when you go through all the trouble of making something and then are disappointed with the way it tastes? At least the kids liked them!