Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Apple Muffins

Something that's been hard for Kaleb is not being able to eat cake or any type of sweets. So I made apple muffins today... ok I'll admit it for me to not just Kaleb..heehee. I experimented a little bit and didn't know if they'd turn out or not but they did. They are awesome!! I put an icing on top which I went a little over board with I know but mmmm it sure makes them tasty.
This is actually an apple bread recipe that I've made for years but it also made fantastic muffins.

Apple Muffins

2 C. Flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. butter, softened
1 C. white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 C. peeled, chopped apple
4 oz. applesauce
1 t. cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In large bowl beat butter, sugar, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir in the chopped apple.
4. Pour flour mixture into the liquid's and stir just until moistened.
5. Pour into 12 muffin cups.
6. Bake at 350 for 30-35 min.

Icing

3/4 C. confectioners sugar
1 T. butter melted
3/4 t. vanilla
2 t. water
mix all together until a glaze forms and pour over warm muffins.

6 comments:

Esther said...

Looks yummy! I'm trying to come up with a muffin/ bread for everyday of our rotation. Maybe I'll have to do a rice/ apple combo after seeing these. The others I have are sorghum/ pumpkin and spelt/ banana. spelt taste just like wheat because it has gluten.

Sarah said...

These look really good. I love apple muffins. I bet Kaleb was glad to get his hand on these.

This might be a dumb question but isn't butter considered dairy?

Tracy said...

Ya butter is dairy but most people allergic to dairy can have butter..not sure why. Doc said Kaleb can have butter it sure makes my life easier that he can!

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Mmmm... these look really good! I think I'll have to try them! My picky 5 year old will probably only eat the icing - good part? more for me! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Well, I finally got around to trying these and they sure are good! I can see where this recipe would make a great bread as well. Not too sweet, just right. I think next time I'll use a granny smith apple to add some tartness.

As for the butter, I use Willow Run Margarine. It is a great substitute for regular butter/margarine if you ever see the need to switch. I haven't found any drawbacks in cooking with it, except the cost... :(

Great recipe! Would you mind if I posted it in my recipe blog with a link back to your site?

Carm said...

I'm allergic to milk & just made these muffins....wow they are delicious!! made some plain, some with craisins, some with choc chips & even an apple bread with the leftover batter. The best were the ones with the craisins, yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe :)