Monday, March 17, 2008

Radon test

I had Kaleb tested for food allergies and also they did toxins/chemical testing in his body. Radon showed up in his system so the lady who administered the test suggested we get our house tested for it. Because we also live in an area known for high radon I thought it was a good idea. At the home and garden show I bought a test kit and tested our home. It's just a packet you hang up in the lowest livable area of your home in our case the basement. I just got the results back via email this morning and thank the Lord our home is ok. It did show up with a little bit of radon but in what is considered the "safe" range. Of course any radon exposure isn't truly safe and they do state that on their website. However the level in our home is quite low it came in at 2.5 anything over 4 is considered unsafe. Anything less than 2 is considered as not showing up so ours isn't to bad. I was so happy this is something I've been concerned about for a few years radon is a serious issue in our area and it causes lung cancer among other things. It's also quite costly to fix the problem. I think in our case just caulking all the cracks in the cement foundation will more than likely take care of most of our problem. So I'll add this to the growing list of projects for spring. For more information on radon you can go here.

3 comments:

Esther said...

I should test my house but the hubby thinks it is a scam to get people to spend more money and freak out.

Sarah said...

My hubby thinks the same thing.

So glad your home & Caleb are ok!

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

So glad the tests came back ok!

Also, just wanted to say... "Tag - You're it!" ;P