Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cake in a cup...say what?!

I received an email with this cake in a cup recipe. Sounded easy and strange so I promptly had to try it out. Here is the recipe:

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well




. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.


Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.


The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT!

Definitely not a light and fluffy cake in my opinion. It's lacking something although I'm not quite sure what. I tried a small piece with a dab of vanilla ice cream and a smidgen of chocolate syrup. It's not to bad if your craving chocolate cake and want a piece quickly. Pretty crazy.. cake in a cup..makes me wonder what other kind of cakes in a cup are out there. If you try it let me know what you think.



3 comments:

Sharon said...

I actually tried that same recipe a little while ago and was not all that thrilled with it. The blog where I saw it on had the cutest little cakes. All nice and fluffy and, well, much bigger than mine turned out to be. Mine never really rose over the top or anything. Then it promptly sank too. Even lower than it was originally. Hmmm, maybe I did something wrong. don't know, but I probably won't make it again. On to next new recipe. :)

Sarah said...

My sister gave banana bread in a mug for a Christmas present. I tried it and it turned out good. Her recipe used the oven, not a microwave.

redhead83402 said...

I tried this recipe, and I agree, not the tastiest ~ so I added a dash of salt, more vanilla, and slightly less oil. It still lacks something, but at least it's not a tasteless-yet yummy smelling lump of brown....what a tease, eh?
I also found out that the taller the mug, the better the results.
Still, it pales in comparison to ~real~ scratch chocolate cake. Those microwaves might be good for heating up, but they just don't hold a candle to a real oven, I guess. :-D
~Red