Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pet Shopping...

Last night Ben and I went pet shopping with Roman in tow at the pet shop. Our little Kaleb is turning eight next week and all he wants is a pet. He wants a lizard so bad it's all he can talk about. Ever since the one got away in Florida he was going to take home he's been asking for one. He actually would be happy with any kind of a pet preferably dog but next is a lizard. We're not into getting a dog right now so we thought maybe a lizard was a possibility. I will say this mama is quite squeamish around any reptile but after looking at small lizards decided I could handle one of those. The picture above is of a gecko it's actually a pretty lizard and supposedly very friendly and easy to care for. The cost involved in one of these isn't much either so we are considering this little gecko for Kaleb. When we first got into the pet shop this little fluff ball puppy was running around and licking Roman it was so stinkin cute. I told Ben I would buy this puppy for Kaleb I asked how much it was $499.00 yup the price decided it for me. Here is my question to all blog o' sphere peeps out there. Besides a cat or dog anyone have any ideas on a pet an eight year old can care for besides a fish? We are stumped beyond this lizard as to what we could get. My 11 has begged for a snake since he was 6 that I definitely could not handle why oh why can't my boys just love normal pets like a cute turtle or fish or something:)

3 comments:

Esther said...

Snake no way!!! Our oldest really wants a pet too, but I know I will be the one taking care of the thing so so far we have talked him out of one. We have to have the dander free type of pets so I would probably go with a turtle that you can dig a hole in the backyard and hiberate it all winter.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

We had snapping turtles growing up. That was actually kind of cool to watch them eat fish. Gross, but cool. My parents took care of them though... that doesn't help you much... sorry! ;)

check the paper... maybe someone has a lizard they want to get rid of cheaply?

sorry I'm no help...

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Snakes? Um, not in this house. Hubby found one once and decided to keep it. It lasted about a week before someone didn't close the cage tightly and it escaped in our home never to be found again. Ick!!! I didn't sleep well for weeks.

How about a hamster? Or a hermit crab? They are pretty easy. A parakeet?

Lizards are actually pretty neat pets. My best friend's son had a bearded dragon and loved it. Actually he still has it after several years. It's a little icky to clean up after, but other than that a great pet. Even she likes it. Me, I'm not a reptile person so I find it gross, but she said it was a great pet - easy and not too expensive.