Monday, November 26, 2007

Reading..

I enjoy reading a lot doesn't matter what it is I'll read just about anything. I love the fact that you can learn so much by just reading a book. My favorites to read are the Bible, mystery novels, books on quilting, gardening, natural/healthy living, running, biking, raising kids etc. the list goes on and on. It is this love of reading I hope to instill in my boys. I "make" them read for an hour a day I put that in quotations because I don't have to really make them read. They just know after lunch they have to read for an hour everyday. However, they both really enjoy reading and don't look at it as a chore.

Reading when it comes to learning from a young age can be difficult. My boys picked up reading quickly and before I knew it they were reading chapter books and novels. With reading comes reading comprehension, of course I always knew this but never really had to focus on it. Lucas comprehended what he read from day one. I know reading comprehension is vital in academic success.

Which brings me to my point that Kaleb I've found doesn't comprehend what he is reading. When reading a short kids book he can tell me what it was about. If he reads a chapter book he can tell me the character's names and few small details like that. When it comes to the plot he looks at me with a big blank look. When reading the Bible together he has a hard time comprehending that also we've been going verse by verse so this is getting better. When reading aloud he'll skip words like is, the, a, and, on, in or just switch up the words. Like maybe read "on" instead of "in" which mean two different things. I've been really focusing this year on reading with him and having him read out loud to me every day. He's getting better but I'm still quite concerned as to what to do. I've got a call into a reading tutor to talk with her but I'm starting to freak out a little bit. When I tested him from a few websites in reading he tested at a 5th grade reading level. I'm not putting much faith in that when he's not comprehending what he's reading. Maybe he's reading books that are to hard for him to comprehend I'm not sure. He can read many large words and reads fast to so maybe going back to easier books would be helpful. Any suggestions on what has worked for anyone would be great..thanx for listening to a homeschooling mom's rambling:)

3 comments:

Esther said...

Don't scare me- Lula is going to give me a run for my money and I have no idea what I'll do if she doesn't "get" it. I'm no help!

Sherry in MI said...

My 2nd son has always been the same way. He is definitely an auditory learner. If I read a historical fiction book, he can do a puzzle with his back to me and then remember every detail of the story better than the other three kids combined. However, if he were to read the book himself - I would get the responses you are seeing. At Kaleb's age, I would recommend you reading to him and also lots of books on tape/CD. That way he's hearing good, quality literature (i.e., don't get him Captain Underpants or something like that - ha!) with words used in context. That will help his grammar, etc. down the road. I still make my son read every day, but I make sure the "important" stuff like history are things I read to him or he listens to on tape. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm much help either. When my kids aren't grasping something, we stop and go back to the basics. Maybe try easier, shorter books for a while or stop and not only work on putting letters together to make words but putting words together to make understandable sentences. Does that make sense?

What we did with Bible reading was we got the boys easier translations to start with while they work their way up to the regular Bible. The Christian bookstore has age appropriate ones. The Adventures Bible for young readers or the New Believer's Bible are good ones.

I'm a very slow reader. I struggled with this since elementary. Sometimes, I will be reading and will start thinking about something entirety different at the same time. When I realize what I've been doing, I can't remember what I've just read. I need a quiet room with no distractions (is that possible with a house full of boys?) Also, reading out loud or using my finger along the page helps me to stay focused and not let my eyes get ahead of my brain.

Have you had his eyes checked? I have to wear glasses for reading otherwise the words and lines kinda blend together.

Just some ideas. Have a great day,
Sarah