Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Greenfield Village

This is the time of year when we're done with school for the year and I always try and get in a few extra field trips while everyone else is still in school. Yesterday the kids and I went to Greenfield Village in Detroit. It's about a 21/2 hour drive for us but oh so worth the trip it was incredible. All of us learned so much it is one of the coolest places I've ever been to. I do enjoy history quite a bit so to me it was really neat. The boys and I studied Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and the Wright brothers the past two weeks. Once the kids each wrote me a report on one of them I told them we could go. Lucas wrote one on Thomas Edison he was so enthralled by Edison's house, factory, offices and research facility. The cool thing about the village is that all the buildings are the actual houses where the people grew up or lived at one time. Nothing is a replica all are the original and they are very well preserved keeping a lot of the furniture the
families had.
The boys and I on the train the elderly gentleman behind me who Roman had made friends with asked if I would like my picture taken with my kids. I of course didn't turn him down:)

Here is the wright brothers shop.

All the people that work there are dressed in the period costumes so you really get the authentic feel for the "good ol' days". Model T's are common on the streets you can take a ride in one if you want to.
At Thomas Edison's park we watched this actor portray Thomas Edison. He did a short skit and told us all about Edison it was really good this guy did a great job. He called some of the kids up front to read different things here is Kaleb reading his line.

This was Roman's favorite part the steam engine train. It was awesome to say the least. We paid our train fare and boarded on for a ride Roman was just all smiles the whole 45 min. ride.

Can you tell he enjoyed the train ride?:)
This was Henry Fords house that he lived in.

2 comments:

Sherry in MI said...

Looks like it was a great day for a road trip! We were thinking of going this coming week, but now might wait until early September to tie in more with our studies we are doing next Fall. Glad you had a great time!

Sarah said...

Looks like you had a great time. To bad it wasn't closer.