Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Feeling behind...

Last week Thursday we had a field trip after that I took the boys out for lunch to use up some book its at Pizza Hut. Upon returning home from our little adventure my kids yell to me that the back room downstairs is flooded and water is pouring out. Out from where? I'm thinking my kids are over exaggerating...ahh..no they weren't pouring is exactly right. I come downstairs to find the hose from the back of the washer pouring water. Mind you I had started this load 2 1/2 hours ago and so this water was pouring for that long. I literally had 2" of water in my back room and a huge flooded mess. We have a small drain right next to the washer but it was way to much water for such a little drain. The carpet in both rooms was soaked a good portion as well. To sum it all up my dad came over with a shop vac and I hauled out my carpet cleaner to soak water out of the carpet. It took almost 3 hours to get all the water out of the back room. The carpet is still wet after multiple buckets removed with the carpet cleaner.

Now my dilemma is that the carpet in Lucas' room and the family room that got wet are starting to smell. I thought I had soaked up enough water they would be fine. So my question to all my bloggity friends do you know how to get the smell out? I did steam clean both areas today Lucas' room seems to be fine after this. The family room carpet is another story it still stinks..bad! I did use carpet cleaner for animals even thinking that might neutralize whatever has set in...nope. I finally broke down and called our insurance agent to see if we have coverage for this. He's getting back to me tomorrow...help!

Update: After I posted this I called our insurance agent. We are covered for this under our policy they are having someone come out and give us an estimate. I'm thinking we'll need new carpet in Lucas' room and maybe a new pad in our family room in that one area. We have a high deductible so we'll see what happens..what a pain. My mother in law has a unit that kills mold in the air etc so I'm going to run that over the weekend it should help.

7 comments:

Sherry in MI said...

I think you need to see what the insurance guy says. If that moisture starts turning into mold, you've got a huge problem.

Sherry in MI said...

I think you need to see what the insurance guy says. If that moisture starts turning into mold, you've got a huge problem.

Sharon said...

Josh and Tara had flooding issues and were told to pull up the carpet in order to let the carpet pad underneath dry. If the carpet is dry, that is good, but it still leaves the pad underneath and that is also where the mold can start to grow...really easily. Our insurance didn't cover our basement flooding, but their's did. Although it has been a good six months and they are still without carpet pad and still waiting.

I think I would start with pulling the carpet back and checking the pad to see if it is wet or not. It could be as simple as putting a fan on it...hopefully. :)

Sarah said...

Oh Tracy, that's horrible. We had that happen to our washer hose but I was home and heard it right away. Just think, if I hadn't been yapping my mouth so much, you might have been home earlier.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to pull the carpet up and get to the pad. The pad is probably going to have to be thrown away. If the carpet is salvageable, you can maybe have it reinstalled over new pad.

Hopefully, insurance will cover it. But I agree with Sherry, you don't want to mess with mold.

CFC Flames '04 said...

Oh no, I'm sorry - what a pain. Glad you're covered though.

Esther said...

We had a flood twice and both times we had to rip up the carpet, throw out the pad, have the carpets cleaned and sprayed with anti mold stuff and new pad put down and the carpet reinstalled. It's a pain but mold is a big no- no. It was cheaper for us to do it ourselves, we have a $500 deductable.

Becca said...

I hope everything works out okay.